31 May 2009

WNDF: the clam digger

DSC_3581

If you're over 21, summer in Bismarck isn't complete without a clam digger from the Broken Oar in Mandan, ND. 

From what I can tell, a clam digger is basically a salad in a class, with some alcohol. The clam digger is made over ice, including a pickle, green olive, yellow peppers, seasonings, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, Clamato and vodka. They are delicious. I think clam diggers are cousins to bloody marys and caesars.

Let's toast to summer.

...

I've never seen these anywhere other than the Broken Oar Bar in Mandan, ND, so I deem it a Weird North Dakota Food (WNDF). 

...
Added June 2, 2009: It has been brought to my attention that Mandan's Broken Oar bar is certainly not the first or only location that serves clam diggers. But since the clam digger is a tradition at the Broken Oar, I decided that it will remain a WNDF. 

1 comment:

nicole said...

never had the clam digger, but i crave the strawberry long island ice tea from the Brass Rail in Jamestown....can't wait to get one in july...nobody makes them like that.
if i'm in mandan i'll have to find the clam digger....i think?
reading your blog makes me really miss home... i love the little german house.