12 March 2009

WNDF: Puppy Chow

DSC_2431

In this installment of Weird North Dakota Food (WNDF), I'm featuring puppy chow.

The name of this sweet snack has always deterred me from trying it. Puppy chow? As in dog food? No thank you.

Today at work, (I work at a university) a student club was having a bake sale. At the bake sale was this authentic North Dakota food. My coworkers said it was delicious. How could I pass it up?! I had never tried it but I figured that if I didn't like it, Corey probably would. And even if Corey didn't like it, it could make a debut on my blog as a WNDF.

Turns out, it's not bad. It's a bit too sweet for my taste, but it's pretty addicting in small amounts. However, to eat this as an authentic North Dakotan, I think I'd have to eat it by the handful.

I don't know that this food actually originates in North Dakota, but it is so popular here, it might as well be from here. It kind of looks like dirty snow. We have plenty of that around here right now. How seasonal.

3 comments:

Moneik said...

Love Puppy Chow! We eat it a lot in SD as a great snacking food. I've been following your blog for quite a while. I work at a university too.

Nichole said...

i was also slightly detoured from trying puppy chow at first as well. but then i realized it was delicious and i never turned back. :)

Brianna said...

I love puppy chow! Different states call it different things like Monkey Munch or Chow Chow. I've seen the recipe on a cereal box when I was a kid, so I don't know if you can clasify it as a WNDF but we're proud to have it. Better than fleischkuekle, sauerkraut, or lutefisk.