30 March 2009

Putting things into perspective

DSC_2655
In the post I wrote earlier today, I talked about this book, "The Children's Blizzard." According to Wikipedia, "the blizzard came unexpectedly on a relatively warm day, and many people were caught unaware, including children in one-room schoolhouses."

Shortly after I posted that blog today, I got an e-mail from my Grandma Katy (my dad's mom) that said that her mom's mom (my great, great grandmother) was born in 1888, near Florence, SD, during the blizzard.

And she survived.

Amazing.

Here she is on her wedding day. Her name was Anne Jessame (she was Norwegian). She married Charles Murphy (an Irish fellow).

She was the oldest child in her (very, very large) family. I was told that Great Great Grandma Anne lived a long life (over 90 years) and passed away in Watertown, SD.

gram isabelle parents
I think I got her hair - wowzers. Lucky me. Ha.

How lucky we are that, today, when blizzards happen, they are a pain in the butt, but (thankfully) not normally deadly.

Buy the book on Amazon:




---
8:15 pm UPDATE:
I just cracked open the book. On one of the first pages is this quote:
"It was as if we were being punished for loving the loveliness of summer." —Willa Cather, My Ántonia

Oh how fitting!!! Last summer was fabulous!

No comments: