03 January 2010

Fabric flag pennant garland

DSC_5876
This fabric flag pennant banner will hang high above the baby's crib ... kind of like a mobile. I made the banner the "fast easy" way – with top-stitching and store-bought bias tape. It's also a great way to use up some scraps. Want to make one? I'll show you how!

For those wondering about safety – the banner will be very well secured in many spots, so even if one hook should fail, it will not fall on the baby.

DSC_5884
I made my own flag template with an 8.5x11-inch piece of paper (shown above). Cut it out on the solid lines.

Cut two from each of your selected fabrics (one for the front and one for the back). I used my rotary cutter, which really made the process fast.

Using my template, you'll need roughly four pairs of flags per yard of banner.

Sew (topstitch) each pair of flags together, right sides facing out. Sew 1/4 inch from edge, on the two longest sides (see dashed lines on template).

DSC_5886
Pin and sew the flags about two inches apart, to the binding/bias tape. I left about 10 inches of bias tape on each end of my banner, for easier hanging.

That's it! Easy, hunh?!

I think it'd be fun to make these for birthdays or holidays - words like "Thanksgiving" or "Happy Birthday" could be appliqued to the flags too. Or red and green flags, with "Merry Christmas" ... Oh the possibilities!

Happy sewing

2 comments:

Laura said...

I am definitely going to try this! Erica, you have to do more tutorials...they're very helpful! Do you have an electronic portfolio of all the quilts you've done in the past? I'd love to see them! Crazymomquilts isn't blogging anymore, but I've been using her tutorials for the quilting stuff. You should start one ;) -Laura

Unknown said...

I made this and love it. I turned mine into curtains and can't wait to make more. What a quick transformation to add color to any room. Thanks for the idea!
http://beholderinsinspirations.blogspot.com/2010/01/flag-garland-curtain-and-bath-mat.html